Pahari Aloo, Potato salad from Kumaon hills of Himalaya
Ingredients for making Pahari Aloo:
- Boiled potatoes: 500gm
- Green chilly: 2, slit lengthwise
- White sesame seeds: 50gm, washed and toasted lightly
- Mustard oil: 2 tsp
- Fenugreek/methi seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Lime juice/Tamarind pulp: 2 tbs
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Chilly Powder: to taste/optional
- Thyme leaves: a few, optional
Method for making Pahari Aloo:
- Dice the boiled potatoes, and leave aside in a large mixing bowl.
- Grind sesame seeds and add to the potatoes. Add salt and chilly powder to taste.
- Add lime juice/tamarind pulp, and mix well.
- In a wok/kadhai, heat the mustard oil. Add methi and let it turn a shade darker. Now add turmeric and green chilly. Take off the fire immediately.
- Add the oil mixture to the rest of the ingredients.
- Optional: garnish with thyme or green coriander.
By itself, this potato salad is great for a snack. It makes a filling side dish for a summer lunch too. I love to have it by itself :-)