Diwali and Bhai dooj wall art and floor art from Uttar Pradesh
This kind of artwork has been drawn in homes in Uttar Pradesh for ages, using coloured natural substances like red mud (Geru), turmeric, Roli (red powder used for tilak), cowdung (known for its germicidal properties). The floor art is also called alpana, or rangoli.
Diwali Wall Art
Diwali is a festival honouring knowledge and abundance, and Ganesh Laxmi puja takes place. Diwali is a 5 day festival including:
- Dhanvantari Jayanti (21 October 2014, Kartik Krishna paksha Trayodashi)
- Narak Chaturdashi (22 October 2014, Lord Krishna killed the demon Narakasur) and Hanuman Jayanti
- Diwali (23 October 2014, Kartik Amavasya)
- Annakoot or Govardhan Puja. This is a Vegetarian food festival, in thanksgiving to Sri Krishna and Govardhan Parvat/cows. (24 October 2014, Kartik Pratipada)
- Bhai Dooj (25 October 2014, Kartik Shukla Dwitiya), a festival for celebrating sibling love. It is said, the Lord of death Yamraj visits his sister River Yamuna Maharani to take her blessing.